Monday, March 14, 2011

...It was only Just A Dream....Thanks, Nelly

Do you ever wonder what television shows kids are watching nowadays?  I mean, I'm not sure I can compile a list of "appropriate" tv shows anymore.  My parents wouldn't let me watch Rugrats, for crying out loud! (Angelica was super mean).  Well, being with kids all the time, I'm always curious as to what they watch in their spare time.  I received a little insight on that today....

Sally came over to talk to me as I was passing out animal crackers to the rest of the class (whatever happened to snack time past Kindergarten, anyway?).  She obviously had a pressing matter on her hands. 

"Miss V."

"Yes, Sally?"

"How old are you?"

"How old do you think I am?"  Seriously, my favorite question to ask.  The responses are hysterical.

"21."  WOW! Now this was impressive.  I didn't hear a "twelve" or a "ninety eight" or a "sixty five" or a "three hundred."  This girl has some number sense.

"You're right! Good guess."

"Are you in college?"

"Yes."

"I knew you were in college. I saw you on the news."

Hmmm.  Did I get some air time that I didn't know about?

"Really?"  I knew it probably wasn't true, but I couldn't help the tinge of excitement I felt.  "What was I doing?"

"Nothing really.  We just saw a picture of your bathroom."

That's when I realized that I wasn't really on the news.  But I still sometimes like to mess with kids (ahem, I mean, encourage their creativity).  "What did it look like?"

She went on to describe the colors, the seahorse shower curtain and the toilet paper left in the toilet.  "It wasn't very clean, Miss V."

Oooooh, my bad.  "I'll make sure to clean it up when I get home, Sally."

Apparently, that's all she needed to hear.  She went back to her seat and held her hands out for an animal cracker.

Moral of the story: while some kids are out there watching MTV (which I can attest to after seeing a few girls practice their belly-dancing routines) or Spongebob (that sponge is seriously hilarious), there are others that are watching the news.  Or maybe dreaming it. 

Signed,
Miss V.



What I couldn't watch

What they shouldn't watch


6 comments:

  1. Or maybe she was watching a home makeover show... evidentally the "before" part!
    These kids sound adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot help but to be in love with your blog. I could NEVER (or think I could never) handle toddlers and by the sounds of it you respond pretty darn well. I love what they say without a filter and wonder if I ever sounded like these kids have. Oh gosh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a field placement in a second grade classroom last semester and one of the students thought I was LITERALLY Velma from Scooby-Doo. Not the actress that played her in the movie. The literal character. I tried to tell her Velma isn't real, and the girl went "I KNOW she's real because I saw it on my TV!"
    She must've told all of her friends, because by the end of the semester every kid in the class called me "Miss Velma."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I just say that I absolutely adore hearing about your kindergardeners? One of my friends has a field placement in kindergarden right now and I love hearing stories every Wednesday about the things the kids said or did that day!

    I also wonder about kid's TV shows. Where did all the good TV go?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your parents wouldn't let you watch Rugrats?!?! I can't imagine what they would do if they caught you with Blue's Clues on.

    That last set of pics reminds me of the first minute of this:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/06/snl-justin-bieber-church-lady_n_819193.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wasn't allowed to watch Rugrats because of Angelica either. Actually, now that I think of it, I wasn't even allowed to watch Spongebob. I think it's interesting how much television has changed since we were younger. Shows like Boy Meets World and Saved by the Bell were the bomb. However, I feel like our parents felt the same way about the television shows we watched as we do about the show children watch today...

    ReplyDelete