Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Sweater Weather

I am still a full time student taking 16 credits.  We, however, have spring break this week so my only responsibility is the Kindergartners.  I'm also staying at my parent's house because it's much closer to my school than my college is. 

There are definite perks of being at home.  A nice, comfy bed.  A home cooked meal here and there (rather than turkey that's been in the fridge too long).  A bathtub.  BUT there is one obvious drawback.  Ninety eight percent of my belongings are still at school.  My wardrobe at home is quite limited (I don't like to pack).  Before I got dressed for school today, I noticed that the things I brought home were things you don't wear in cold weather.  They were things I wore last week, so I figured I'd be okay.  Nope.  Thanks, Michigan.  Gotta love the weather changes.  I did, however, bring one sweater home.  A nice, bulky one.  I put it on, along with some pants from my mom's closet.  I looked in the mirror.  A shudder.  I looked huge.  Welp, not much I could do about it.  I finished getting ready and headed to school.

I walked into the cafeteria and heard the usual responses.  My class instantly saw me and psychoticly waved me over to their tables (they haven't caught on that that's ALWAYS where I go, even when they're not waving me over).  Every single one of them felt like they had to give me updates on their lives (their pets, their sisters, their aunts, their cousins, their loose teeth, their new shirt, their cut fingernails, their new dance moves). 

"My cat got runned over."

"Oh, Sergei, I'm sorry to hear that."  (And this is what I ORIGINALLY thought I would base my blog on for the day).  However, just seconds later, it got much better.

Sam calls me over.  "Miss V, you look BIGGER every time I see you!"

Oh my word.  I don't know whether to laugh or cry about this.  I think he was trying to be nice (he probably feels good when Great Uncle Freddy tells him he looks bigger every time he sees him), but he didn't have the same effect on me.  I mean, I knew it was a bulky sweater, but geez.  I asked him what he meant by that.  He couldn't answer.  I got home and immediately put my sweater in the Goodwill Donations pile. 

Signed,
Miss V.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my, I feel I can relate to this, except I think I actually AM getting bigger. Winter is ending, which means I can no longer use my bulky sweaters to hide behind!

    ReplyDelete