Friday, March 11, 2011

But Miss V, I HAD to cheat.

So, today was Wacky Hair Day.  I didn't think my hair was THAT crazy, but I was proven wrong after walking through the school doors.  "Miss V, you look craaaazy!"  Thanks, guys.

On Fridays we usually go to a 4th grade classroom where my students have "reading buddies."  We walk over to the classroom only to realize that our 4th graders were unavailable.  Well, it's Friday I suppose. I can probably get away with playing "Heads up, Seven up." 

This game is very easy to cheat at.  So, I thought I'd be proactive (with five year olds, you have to be). 

"Now, we're going to try and be very sneaky.  Remember...you don't want to tell your classmates whose thumb you pressed.  And you probably don't want to pick your best friends, otherwise they'll know you picked them.  So, who wants to get picked?"

Obviously everybody raises their hand.  "Now remember, if you're peeking, you're not going to get picked.  Put your heads on your arms, close your eyes and put your thumbs up."

The kids scurry around as quietly as possible (which is usually high school basketball game noise level). I see a boy, Randy, peeking.  I make eye contact with him.  He looks scared.  I say, "Heads up, Seven up" and before I go on...Randy interrupts.

"Miss V.  You know why I had to peek?  I didn't have a good way to put my eyes down."

Ooooooooook, Randy.  I went on to show him how exactly he could go about putting his eyes down successfully.

Signed,
Miss V.

1 comment:

  1. Seems as if Randy doesn't know how to cheat at Heads up, Seven up. The best technique is to put your head down in your arms but close to the edge of the desk. That way, you can still look at the ground and appear to not be looking. You have to remember the person's shoes though. Otherwise your cheating will be ineffective.

    ReplyDelete