Tuesday, March 8, 2011

"A Doctor Screws in Your Head"

Approximately 12:13 pm:
I walk into the lunchroom where my students are eating ever so peacefully (NOT). I am welcomed by a chorus of "Miss V, Miss V, MISS V!" in the sing-song voices of the precious children.  A kid spills chocolate milk on my pants.  Awesome. 

"Can you open my fruit snacks?"

"Can you tie my shoe?"

"I need to go to the BATHROOM!"

"I like your shirt."

"I like your hair."

"I like your shirt AND your hair."

I try to acknowledge each child as quickly as possible.  They'd keep you for hours if they could.  One boy, we'll call him Davy, raises his hand ever so calmly.  You don't see that everyday.  What a nice change.  I walk over to him, excited for a mature conversation.

"Miss V.  When you have brain surgery, a doctor SCREWS IN YOUR HEAD.  They use four screws."

Yeah, never expect a mature conversation with a Kindergartner.

Signed,
Miss V.

2 comments:

  1. So great. I can totally sense the pandemonium of the lunchroom and their absolute craziness over you... and then you hear gems like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha that's so awesome. I love, love, love how you use dialogue to portray the stories. These stories are entertaining, quick reads that make me laugh. Your love for children and passion teaching come through loud and clear!

    ReplyDelete