Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Hypnotize Me

I was left alone with the children yesterday for about an hour.  It was a little out of control.  During the last hour of school, the kids always have "calendar time" where they use the SmartBoard to talk about weather, days of the week, months of the year, etc.  Since I'd never done it before, I wasn't completely confident with the process.  Which led to the children all shouting at once what I should be doing.

"Miss V, after you pick a stick out of the WHITE cup, you need to put it in the RED cup."

"Um, we're supposed to count by 5's, NOT 10's."

"Miss V, Victoria's not supposed to be pulling people's hair."

"We have to do the 'days of the week' song, you pushed the 'months of the year' song."

As you can see, they all had good intentions.  But, it was a circus for awhile.  They all felt like they had something VERY important to say.  In order to get them back on track, I had them fulfill a "quiet minute" at their desks with their heads down.  Kindergartners don't like to put their heads down.  They obviously had told the head teacher about their "terrible behavior" because when I came in today, they all apologized.  That's what I love about Kindergartners: they have guilty consciences and they tell on themselves.

Indoor recess today.  What do you expect when it's sleeting outside?  Cool, Michigan. 
We have a few buckets of toys that we use during indoor recess.  One of the very special children, Angelica, took a string out of the bucket that she found.  She called me over and began waving it in front of my face.

"Miss V, watch the string."

I followed the string with my head, turning it back and forth each time she swung it.

"No, with your EYES."

Alright then.  I followed her directions.  She moved it back and forth for at least 4 seconds before she said,

"Miss V.  Are you hip-tized yet?"

Signed,
Miss V.

No comments:

Post a Comment