Monday, April 11, 2011

Fat Camp



Have you ever seen the movie Heavy Weights?  If you haven't, get on it.  If it's not your type of humor, at least you'll be entertained by all the chunker children in the cast.  As an added bonus, you get to see Ben Stiller posing as an insane fat camp director.  Anyway, there's a boy in my class that could definitely be part of that cast.  It's very interesting because his parents are both normal-sized. 


If this doesn't make you want to see Heavy Weights.....



Usually, at lunchtime Billy stocks up on things drowned in sugar. Kids have to choose two things from the fruit/veggie bar so Billy decides on canned peaches (with dense sugary syrup) and carrots (if you can find them under the ranch dressing).  However, over spring break, I think Billy had an epiphany.  He came to lunch today with a new attitude.


"Miss V.  What can I eat today?  I'd like to keep my weight down."  (These words were implanted via his parents, I'm sure).

"Well, Billy, celery is good for you.  You can eat some of those."

He looked thoughtful (and thankful).  "OK."

He grabbed about 8 sticks of celery.  In my mind I'm thinking, Yes, I taught this kid something about healthy living! Ya know, eating celery actually BURNS calories.  Usually, I'm not pro-dieting, especially for five and six year olds, but this is a special case.  This is a big boy.

The last stop at the fruit/veggie table is the ranch dressing pit stop.  I turned away to help Angel open her animal crackers.  When I turned back to help Billy with his healthy eating choices, I saw that everything was ruined. 

......Would you like some celery with that ranch?

Moral of the story: DIETING is ineffective for children. 
Exhibit A: Heavy Weights
Exhibit B: Billy

Signed,
Miss V.

1 comment:

  1. Eating celery really DOES burn calories! I end up chewing it for years, it seems...

    ReplyDelete